Notes on how AMBI Massage School will handle FERPA information is noted below:
American Massage & Bodywork Institute: FERPA Notice for Directory Information
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), a Federal law, requires that AMBI, with certain exceptions, obtain your written consent prior to the disclosure of personally identifiable information from you or your child’s education records. However, AMBI may disclose appropriately designated “directory information” without written consent, unless you have advised AMBI to the contrary within 45 days of the receipt of this letter in accordance with the procedures set forth below. The primary purpose of directory information is to allow AMBI to include information from you or your child’s education records in certain school publications. Examples include:
- A playbill, showing your student’s role in a drama production;
- The annual yearbook;
- Honor roll or other recognition lists;
- Graduation programs; and
- Sports activity sheets, such as for wrestling, showing weight and height of team members.
Directory information, which is information that is generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if released, can also be disclosed to outside organizations without a parent’s prior written consent. Outside organizations include, but are not limited to, companies that manufacture class rings or publish yearbooks. In addition, two federal laws require local educational agencies (LEAs) receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965, as amended (ESEA) to provide military recruiters, upon request, with the following information – names, addresses and telephone listings – unless parents have advised the LEA that they do not want their student’s information disclosed without their prior written consent.
Notwithstanding any other AMBI policy, if you do not want AMBI to disclose any or all of the types of information designated below as directory information without your prior written consent, you must notify AMBI in writing within thirty (30) days of enrollment. Written notice may be delivered to AMBI by email or certified mail. If notice is sent by email, such letter shall be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading “FERPA DIRECTORY REMOVAL.” If such notice is sent by certified mail, such letter shall be addressed to Attention: AMBI President, Directory Removal, 1593 Spring Hill Road, Suite 210, Vienna, VA 22182. Notice shall state your name, your relationship to the student (or “Self”, if student is above the age of 18), and the directory information you wish to keep private. AMBI has designated the following information as directory information:
- Student’s name
- Telephone listing
- Electronic mail address
- Date and place of birth
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Grade level
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Student ID number, user ID, or other unique personal identifier used to communicate in electronic systems but only if the identifier cannot be used to gain access to education records except when used in conjunction with one or more factors that authenticate the user’s identity, such as a PIN, password, or other factor known or possessed only by the authorized user
- A student ID number or other unique personal identifier that is displayed on a student ID badge, but only if the identifier cannot be used to gain access to education records except when used in conjunction with one or more factors that authenticate the user’s identity, such as a PIN, password, or other factor known or possessed only by the authorized user.