Medical Massage of the Ankle and Foot
9:00AM – 4:00PM
CE Hours: 6
Instructor: Erin Hughes, PT, LMT
This course will teach the massage professional about medical conditions and injuries involving the ankle and foot, so they may apply the appropriate massage techniques to successfully treat a client that may have been referred by a health care provider. The student will review the relevant anatomy and pathophysiology of the area being studied and the benefits as well as the potential massage limitations or contraindications as it applies to each medical condition. Upon completion, the student will have the confidence and skill to provide relief from the symptoms most commonly experienced by clients suffering from these conditions or injuries of the ankle and foot.
- Identify the anatomical structures in the ankle and foot (bony landmarks, muscles, nerves, and blood supply) as it applies to the medical conditions presented.
- Understand the typical signs and symptoms as well as the nature of the medical conditions of the ankle and foot
- Understand the indications for using medical massage protocols on the ankle and foot region
- Identify potential contraindications and limitations for massage application for each medical condition in the ankle and foot
- Choose the proper massage techniques in relation to the medical condition and the client’s presenting complaints in the ankle and foot
- Determine the efficacy of the medical massage treatment provided to the ankle and foot, and be able to recognize when referral of a client to another health care provider is necessary.
This course is part of the Medical Massage of the Extremities Certificate program