Medical Massage of the Back Day 1
9:00AM – 4:00PM
CE Hours: 6
Instructor: Erin Hughes, PT, LMT
If you want to purchase this course, please contact the school directly. We are experiencing issues with our payment process. We apologize for the inconvenience.
This course will teach the massage professional about medical conditions and injuries involving the spine so they may apply the appropriate massage techniques to successfully treat a client that may have been referred by a health care provider. The student will review the relevant anatomy and pathophysiology of the spine and explain the benefits as well as the potential massage limitations or contraindications for each medical condition of the spine. Upon completion, the student will have the confidence and skill to provide relief from the symptoms most commonly experienced by clients suffering from spinal medical conditions or injuries.
– Identify the anatomical structures in the thorax and lumbar spine (bony landmarks, muscles, nerves, and blood supply) as it applies to the medical conditions presented.
– Understand the typical signs and symptoms and understand the nature of the medical conditions of the thorax and lumbar spine.
– Understand the indications for using medical massage protocols on the thorax and lumbar spine region.
– Identify potential contraindications and limitations for massage application for each medical condition in the thorax and lumbar spine region.
– Choose the proper massage techniques in relation to the medical condition and the client’s presenting complaints in the thorax and lumbar spine region.
– Determine the efficacy of the medical massage treatment provided to the thorax and lumbar spine and be able to recognize when referral of a client to another health care provider is necessary.
Examples of conditions to be discussed in this course include: Low Back Pain, Sciatica and Piriformis Syndrome, Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction, Degenerative Disc Disease, and Disc Herniation
This course is part of the Medical Massage of the Spine and for Postural Dysfunction Certificate program